Friday, November 2, 2012

What can I say?!

I feel so bad for not writing in such a llllloooonnng time. I AM SORRY! School has been super, super busy because I am placed in a school with some pretty awesome kiddos :) This means exhausted nights and early sunrise mornings. One important piece of news is after my speech at the high school last week Monday I received a letter from one of the students. This is what she wrote:
      
       Dear Sam,
               I wanted to thank you again for coming in and speaking to our class about your experience with melanoma. What you said really hit home to me. The past two years I have burnt in the sun horribly. I also went tanning before a cruise..... This was before I knew about melanoma, and how dangerous and deadly it is. Now that I know and that I know how much I have increased my risk....I'm terrified. But I am so grateful. Hearing what you went through was a huge eye opener for me, and I can't thank you enough. I started checking my skin and I plan to wear sunblock every day I am outside. I don't mean to sound rude, so please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't want to be like you. I don't want to go through the horror and pain it causes... I don't want to die. I do however, want to learn from you and I have. I wish you the best Sam and good luck! You are an inspiration to us all :)

First of all, thank you to the moon and back sweet girl. I love her complete honesty and pure emotion in the letter. On top of that is was hand written! She amazes me and reminds me whole heartedly why I speak out. I do not want her or anyone else to have to face the challenges this beast brings; the worst of them all saying good bye to your loved one. Thank you for listening to the message!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment