Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Wishing for a little more courage

Normally I like to workout at the gym early in the morning, before the birds are even up. Today I decided to go in the afternoon and I am reminded why I give up a little sleep for a peaceful workout. As I am stretching there are three young, probably freshman, girls sitting next to me. They begin talking about how one of them is so tan and the other two need to hit the tanning bed over winter break. Here I am cringing inside, wanting to scream at them, and thinking I need to say something. I really should say something, but what am I going to say? All the while there is this fear inside me. Needless to say, I was a coward and I didn't do it. I know I should have. I wish I would have. This was a perfect opportunity to share awareness. How is it that I can speak to hundreds of people about my story, but I can't walk up to three girls, share my story and my scar?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment