Monday, August 13, 2012

Happy 3 year Cancerversary to me!


I always wanted a tattoo and God just wnated to make sure there was a really good story to go along with it. I believe he sent me on this path with this tattoo to help educate others so they do not receive the same tattoo as me. This plaque was given to me by my sister this summer at a time when I really needed it. Love u B!

Happy 3 year Cancerversary to me! WOW! I can’t believe it has been three years since my diagnosis and surgery. When I was first diagnosed I had no idea what my life would be like, much less what my future would hold. I could barely see past the next day. Within these last three years my life has been a whirlwind, both good and bad. Before my diagnosis cancer had never hit close to home and once it did, it seemed like everyone I knew was being diagnosed. Almost to the day of my cancerversary last year my uncle was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and he was in the fight for his life. The first couple of months this year were some of the hardest for me because I watched my uncle fight his hardest, but ultimately lose his battle. During this time I came to gain an understanding of what it was like for my parents, sister, and boyfriend when I was diagnosed. I almost think it is harder to be the caregiver at times because you feel such a lack of control. At least that is what I felt.  

As I reflect on today I have so many emotions flowing inside me. Happiness that I am here cancer free, and I get to celebrate all God has given me, especially today because my sister and I are going to have a Pretty Little Liars Season 2 marathon and pig out on candy. Hope and Excitement for what the future holds. Peace because at this exact moment my life is as close to perfect as it has been in a really, really long time. Sadness and loss because my uncle is not here to share this day with me and we are not able to celebrate his day. Today serves as a reminder that Yes, my life did change drastically the day I was called into the doctor’s office and I never thought I would embark on the journey called cancer, but as my uncle would say “live life to the fullest”, which is exactly as I am trying to do! As I begin this next year I hope to enjoy life as much as possible, seize every opportunity thrown my way, notice and appreciate the little things in life, and let all the negative energy fly right out the window.