Monday, August 20, 2012

Paleness does not equal beauty?!



Last night as I went to bed I was reflecting on my day at work at "Hooters on the Lake" as my family calls it (it is not really a Hooters or anything of the sort, just a beertending job). An older man told me, "you have such beautiful skin". I thanked him and went on with my job. A while later a different gentleman commented about how pale my legs were, mind you I was wearing jeans rolled up to capri length so he could not see much, and if I did wear shorts my legs have probably not seen the sun light. As I thought about these comments I am once again reminded that society does not equal beauty with paleness. One minute I am being told I have great skin (because I avoid the sun like the plaque :) ) but yet I have comments made about how pale I am. This is not the first time comments about my paleness have been made to me. I am more often questioned about my paleness or lack of a tan than told I have great skin. Society is so fixated on being tan that the reality of the dangers of the sun and tanning beds is ignored. My questions to you are how can we change society's view of what beauty is, how do you handle situations like this, or is the problem that we are not accpeting of our natural beauty?